Saturday, August 1, 2020

Z and Coffee

Well she has been in two Cars and Coffee events and I thought I should write a little about the fun, and work, that goes into taking her to an event. The first event a few weeks ago at Car Guys was just a few days after I got her back from the shop, so I had some quick fixed and things to get done (mounting bumpers, painting hatch, cleaning the inside good, etc.). For the second one at the Studebaker National Museum I wanted to get my street wheels back on and had to wash her she was all dirty still from the track. 

I have always enjoyed car shows and car related events. Maybe something I got from my grandpa Harold who owned a garage and knew a lot about cars, or something I remember from going to the Detroit Auto Show with my dad growing up. Whenever there was a local show I loved going, always dreamed that I could own something cool enough to have in a show... 

Now that I own something cool enough I am glad that I can take it to events. I love answering questions, what year is, do I race it, did I paint it, what motor is in it, or my favorite is when a younger guy asks... SO how much horse power it? Usually they are expecting (or hoping) to hear something outlandish... but my reply it, "Well stock horsepower was 149, and I bet she is pulling a solid 135 HP now." Their jaw usually drops, naw, really? Yeah, I mean she is 45 years old and bone stock. I am fairly sure she isn't pulling what she did on day 1, but I can you tell you she is probably just as fun. 

Today a base Mustang or Camaro is pulling mid 300s HP and weighs close to 4,000 pounds. My little baby had 149 HP and weighs about 2,400 pounds (she dropped some weight with bumpers and other items I took off). Cars just have a lot more horse power these days, lots of technology plus more money... stock Corvettes today at 500 HP... in 1975 it was 165. I mean in 1975 a Porsche was the king of the road and they pulled 175 HP... so my little Z was not far behind, and in all honesty back then my Z could hang with Porsches and Corvettes. 

So anyhow I digress... well I love my Z, I love coffee, Cruz loves donuts, and I like talking cars with people. So these Cars and Coffee events are just my style. At my first cars and coffee event I got parked between a Ferrari and a Nissan GT-R. Whew... the competition for looks was fierce, but we got our attention and everyone was friendly and fun. 

The Studebaker event was also great and the hosts for this event was the Avanti Drivers Club... if you don't know what an Avanti is... well now you do. It was always one of my favorite Studebakers, even more than the iconic bulletnose. For sure a cool place for a Cars and Coffee event, I have judged real concourse shows there, I have toured the exhibits and now I have displayed my car there... pretty cool. 

Unfortunately the morning of the show a little rain came into the forecast, I think it kept some people away but many of us braved the elements. It was dry maybe 75% of the time, not bad and we all had to get out towels out and wipe down the rides. Still had fun, still had some friends stop in, and still enjoyed chatting up people about my car. The Lotus and I were the only non-USA built cars there which was interesting. (Click photos to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment