Friday, August 13, 2010

Heat Wave of 2010

Well I am in the middle of two projects on the Z... but in this heat I can't work outside long enough to get knee deep into my projects. But here are some updates on where I am with my work.

AFM Boot - my Air Fuel Meter boot has some tears in it. It was taped up and I think this is causing some of my lack of power. I think air is leaking around it. Well an OEM replacement is about 60 bucks and I can't find a good used one. My 1975 was the only year of my type of boot before they switched in 76 to a more eco friendly model with an EGR. So I decided to upgrade the part and get a smoother flowing pipe instead of a flexible crush bent rubber tube. I order some silcone couplers, claps and a universal mandrel bent pipe. I just need to get the pipe cut to length now and I should be done. I am wondering if I should do a CAI (Cold Air Intake) upgrade while I am at it... but thats is another $45... so I will wait.

Fusible Links - I had to re-wrire one of my fusible links when I get the car. Most people upgrade their fusible links to a Maxi fuse set up. Well my links are working fine now but I figured this would be an easy upgrade to do to the car, clean up the engine bay a little and get one more item off the list of things to do to the Z. Well not that easy i guess... the write ups for the job are either on 240Zs (70-74) or on the later 280Z models (77-78) which all have different wiring. I thought it would be similar enough that I could figure it out... well not so much. Most of the people who do the upgrade do it when either their links fail and they have to re-wire the whole thing anyways, or when they upgrade to a new alternator and can remove the external voltage regulator. So since all of mine is fine right now... I might have to wait on this project.

SOOOO... what is next for the Z? I think this weekend I can finish the AFM boot install. I painted the Fusible link bracket so I will spruce that up a little and put it back together. I can take my baby for a cruise and then she has to go back to the trans shop since it is leaking a little again.

Anyhow... new pics coming soon of the upgrades once I finish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment