Wednesday, June 8, 2011

To Build or Not to Build: Datsun EZ

So the results from my last post were not favorable. My poor little Datsun was bounced from one shop to another, to finally come to a slow rest in my garage. What originally seemed to be a starter, turned into a new pump, and what I had hope was just a head rebuild turned into my baby needing a whole new heart (engine).

Obviously when my baby is in the shop it is hard for me to think about much else... visions of car repair bills dance in my head and keep me up. Well my shop was able to get her running, only on three cylinders but she made it home and is at least cozy among my powertools and rakes again.

As I did some research into rebuild costs, looking for a shop to take on the task, figuring out what phase two after the rebuild would be a thought came into my head...

For those who don't know me that well, or know the "College Sam", or the "Beta Sam" or the new "Grown Up Married Sam"... you might need some background on my love of cars.

I love cars. I love driving them. In high school I joined the Electrical Vehicle team. I learned how to draft, how to CNC machine aluminum parts and use a lathe. I designed custom tube frames and learned how to lay fiberglass. We designed a recumbent electric motor assisted bike one year and one year a three wheel electric cart (we painted it like a cow and called it QuickSilver).

One summer in high school I did a week long program at Western Michigan with their solar powered car program and when I attended WMU planned to get involved with the team (other involvements - ie Fraternity took my time and I never fully joined the team). I always followed the progress of the GM Electric car and of course the hybrids.... but over the years my passion for electric cars died out.

So my issue with the Datsun got me thinking... and then Google confirmed my notion that yes, yes a Datsun Z could make a good electric car. I can't rebuild a motor... but you know what I can do, work on an electric car conversion. So if the Datsun needs a motor ($2000), and then new exhaust ($400), and then new fuel injectors ($300) and then I am sure a new this... and a new that...

Why Don't I Make an Electric Z! I feel like if I say it out loud more I will actually make the leap... I could build it for the cost of fixing all the Datsun motor related items and I could get a car that would do 60 miles per charge... I could still autocross it and have fun (gotta make a good battery case to handle the whipping around).

I haven't ripped the gas tank out of her yet... as I am still debating a little in my head. I am actually shopping for a replacement for the Altima right now...

For now... the Datsun is down for the count... how long depends on what I do... electric convert would take a year or two... engine swap a couple months and some loot. No wonder I can't sleep at night...

No comments:

Post a Comment